At Burley Gate, we aim to make all of our pupils become readers who have a life-long love of literature. We aim to make exciting texts accessible to pupils via stimulating classroom reading areas and inviting library areas, which cater for all abilities with the inclusion of appropriately levelled books. We aim to provide all children with stimulating, appropriate home reading books to share with parents as soon as they are ready. These include a reading scheme book (linked to our ‘Little Wandle’ phonics scheme) along with a class/library book to share with family at home.
We want all pupils to:
- Read fluently with an excellent understanding of the text;
- Read for pleasure;
- Develop their vocabulary;
- Be exposed to a variety of genres exploring diversity and British Values.
At Burley Gate, we have high expectations for all pupils; we are passionate about making reading a priority.
We do this through:
- Exploring high quality texts through our teaching, throughout all subjects;
- Daily songs, rhymes and stories shared;
- Daily phonic sessions for all children (any children not at the expected level in Year 2 will be targeted with appropriate support);
- Making reading spaces in our classrooms;
- Ensuring our newsletters to Parents/Carers focus on reading every fortnight (pupils give a book review);
- Planned weekly ‘Key 2 Reading’ sessions focusing on reading comprehension content domains for KS1 and KS2;
- Quickly identifying pupils who are at risk of falling behind and planning appropriate interventions;
- Involving Parents/Carers in reading workshops to ensure phonics expectations are explained fully along with how they can support their child from EYFS to Year 6.
- Prioritising reading CPD when needed;
- Ensuring each reading book is appropriately matched to the needs of the pupil;
- Tracking each pupil (attainment and progress) carefully every term.
At Burley Gate, we strive to ensure all pupils leave school being able to read fluently and develop a love of reading for pleasure. Our aim is to ensure all pupils are confident readers to help them make a successful transition to the next stage in their education.