Class 4 is a mixed aged class of Y5/6 children. Class teachers are Mrs Roberts and Mrs Dixon. Our teaching assistant is Mrs Hadley.
Expression, fluency and comprehension are our focus in developing independent readers in Upper Key Stage Two. Children read daily and work in class and groups to study texts in greater detail.
Children develop a love of writing as they explore different genres such as narratives, non-fiction and poetry. Grammar, punctuation and spelling are taught discretely and rules are applied across all subjects. Neat handwriting and presentation of work is encouraged at all times.
In mathematics a sound understanding of the four operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) is essential and at the heart of our learning through calculations, word problems and activities including geometry and measures.
Subjects are taught in a cross-curricular way as appropriate. The aim is to foster meaningful links in order to develop a deeper recall of key knowledge.
In Class 4 our learning ethos is underpinned by the 5 Rs:
- Resourcefulness– children learn to use their initiative, to ask questions and take risks.
- Resilience– children are encourage to persist in their endeavours, to stay positive about themselves and their learning and to remember that ‘practice makes perfect’.
- Responsibility– in years 5/6 children learn to show a sense of responsibility, not only in the organisation of their own belongings and thinking, but in their attitude towards helping others.
- Reasoning– children become considerate learners; taking time to think things through, considering evidence and drawing conclusions.
- Reflectiveness– children in Class 4 begin to grow from their experiences; personally and socially as well as academically. They see thing from different perspectives as they evaluate their learning.